I always seem to forget just how much I love fall goodies, that is until autumn rolls around and the delicious scents of cinnamon, cloves, and nutmeg are drifting through the air. And come September our home turns into our own little bakery full of fall’s sweet treats, like homemade apple spice donuts and pumpkin loaf.
And it’s while Nick is in the kitchen (he is definitely the baker in our house) coming up with new recipes or baking family favorites that I am always amazed at just how easily certain smells can evoke such a feeling of comfort and nostalgia. The minute I smell those heavenly aromas I am reminded of chilly October nights spent bundled in the warmth of our home, sipping hot apple cider and watching the leaves dance through the streets as the wind howls outside.
So this week as we join Ella Claire and a few of our friends for the Tastes of the Season series we are all sharing our favorite pumpkin recipes. Because what else says fall like pumpkin-flavored comfort food?
When we started thinking about pumpkin recipes to share, so many delicious ideas came to mind but eventually, we settled on a simple family-friendly recipe – Pumpkin Pecan Chocolate Chip Cookies. Because who doesn’t love cookies, right?
And these cookies are simply amazing. They are so soft and moist, while the pecans and chocolate chips add a little-unexpected crunch. Just like most baking, these taste best when they are warm and melty, straight from the oven.
- 3/4 cup vegetable shortening
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup canned pumpkin (pure pumpkin, not pumpkin pie)
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup white chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large mixing bowl, add shortening, white and brown sugars, egg, pumpkin and vanilla. Using a hand mixer beat well for at least 2 minutes or until it has reach a slightly whipped consistency.
- Add salt, flour, baking powder and baking soda and stir well with a spatula until all of the dry ingredients are mixed in.
- Add chocolate chips and pecans. Work them into the dough.
- Using a spoon, scoop out dough and roll into balls just a little larger than a golf ball. Flatten slightly and place on parchment lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 13-14 minutes.
- Cool for 10 minutes on baking sheet and transfer to cooling rack.
Pumpkin Custard Pie with Gingersnap Crust by Ella Claire | Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cream Cheese Bread by Nest of Posies | Pumpkin Creme Brûlée by Maison de Pax | Pumpkin Cake with Creme Cheese Frosting by Dear Lillie | Pumpkin Tomato and Bacon Soup by Craftberry Bush
Spiced Pumpkin Pancakes by Boxwood Avenue | Paleo Pumpkin Chili by Nesting with Grace | Pumpkin Ginger Molasses Cookies by anderson + grant | Pumpkin Baked Brie en Croute by French Country Cotage | Nina Hendrick Design Co.
Pumpkin Pecan Chocolate Chip Cookies by A Burst of Beautiful | Maple Glazed Pumpkin Hand Pies by Love Grows Wild | Pumpkin Patch Muffins by House 214 | Pumpkin Maple Pancakes by Finding Home Farms | Miniature Pumpkin Tarts by Zevy Joy
Oatmeal Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies by Miss Mustard Seed | Pumpkin Toffee Cupcakes with Salted Caramel Frosting by My Sweet Savannah | Pumpkin Pan Pie by Inspired by Charm