Each year as Christmas nears, Nick and I make a long list of the holiday goodies we want to bake. Some of them are old family favorites that we have been enjoying for years, like whipped shortbread or chocolate peanut butter fudge. And others are new to us, recipes we’ve found on Pinterest or tried while visiting friends or at holiday parties.
We love spending time together in the kitchen…Christmas music playing, mugs of coffee or hot chocolate in hand and the sweet smells of gingerbread, peppermint or chocolate filling the air. It’s something we look forward to every Christmas.
It’s a sweet family tradition we want to pass down to our daughter as well. She loves sitting at our kitchen island helping us whip up a batch of cookies or squares. And she always seems to have a bowl and spoon in hand pretending to bake goodies of her own.
When we do our Christmas baking we always make sure we double our recipes so we have enough treats for sharing, although sometimes they are so good we keep them all to ourselves ;).
Holiday baking always makes a terrific gift for friends and neighbors. Simply wrap it up in some pretty packaging, attach a gift tag and you have a thoughtful and sweet gift.
We like to keep some of these little gifts on-hand during the holidays to give as last minute gifts if guests drop by unexpectedly or we are invited to a last-minute holiday party.
I am sharing these simple Christmas gift tags over at Craftberry Bush today, you can pop over to download them for free if you’re interested.
But right now, I want to share one of our favorite family goodies during the holidays – Chocolate Peanut Butter Fudge.
This is definitely one of my favorite treats, nothing beats the combination of chocolate and peanut butter. Our Chocolate Peanut Butter Fudge is so rich and creamy and completely melts in your mouth. It truly tastes just like a Peanut Butter Cup.
What are some of your favorite holiday treats? We’d love to hear from you!
- 1 1/4 cup peanut butter
- 1 1/4 cup salted butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 3/4 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup graham cracker crumbs
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup SWEETENED condensed milk
- 2½ tablespoons salted butter
- In a microwave safe bowl, add peanut butter and salted butter. Microwave on high for one minute. Then stir and microwave another 30 seconds. Remove from microwave, add vanilla extract and stir to combine until smooth.
- Whisk in 2 cups of the powdered sugar and graham cracker crumbs and stir until smooth. Then add the remaining 1 3/4 cups, stir until smooth.
- Pour into a lightly greased square pan (8" or 9") and level out the peanut butter layer.
- For the top chocolate layer, combine chocolate chips, sweetened condensed milk, and 2½ tablespoons butter in a microwave safe bowl.
- Microwave on high for 45 seconds, stir, and then microwave for an additional 30 seconds. Stir until smooth.
- Pour on top of peanut butter layer and smooth out using a spatula.
- Place in the refrigerator for two hours before cutting them into squares.