Blueberry muffins are one of my favorite comfort foods. I’ve always loved the light and fluffy texture mixed with juicy ripe blueberries. We’ve experimented with a lot of different blueberry muffin recipes over the years, but this one is definitely our favorite.
It is a quick and simple recipe, and I promise, these really are the best blueberry muffins you’ll ever taste.
This recipe makes a great base for any type of muffin, so experience with different kinds of fruit. You could add in banana for a delicious blueberry banana combination, or try something completely different, like fresh raspberries.
They make an easy breakfast for those mornings you have to eat and run and they are a great afternoon pick-me-up snack with a cup of tea.
Some of our favorite baking tools for this recipe…
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 tbsp white vinegar
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 egg
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups frozen blueberries
- 6 tsp coarse sugar
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Line muffin cups with parchment muffin liners, or lightly coat with unsalted butter or cooking spray.
- Combine milk and vinegar in a measuring cup. Stir and allow to sit for 5-10 minutes. Milk will thicken or curdle, effectively making buttermilk.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Using an electric mixer, combine brown sugar, white sugar, butter, egg, vanilla and milk/vinegar in a large bowl and mix until combined.
- Add the dry mix until just combined, do not overmix.
- Fold in the frozen blueberries
- Scoop the muffin mixture into each cup, filling it to the top of the liner.
- Top each muffin with 1/2 tsp coarse sugar
- Bake for 5 minutes at 425F and then reduce temperature to 350F and bake for 18-20 minutes until a toothpick can be inserted and removed cleanly.
Have a beautiful day!